Saturday, June 19, 2004

Recomended reading

Just finished a fun book by one of my favorite writers: Terry Pratchett. The book, A Hat Full Of Sky, is his latest in a series about his fantasy world called Discworld (Which is shaped like a (duh!) disk and carried through space on the back of four turtles who are standing on the back of the great space turtle A' Tuin). He writes fantasy/humor books and definatly has my type of sense of humor. This lastest book was one of his Discworld ones that was written for younger readers, but most of the series is for adults who want to laugh, and if you read the rest of the series and enjoy it then I see no reason not to read the young adult ones as well since they are all set in the same place and you'll see some of the regual cast in them. My personal favorite group is the Watch (lead by Sam Vimes), but also enjoy the others that he writes about (the witches, Death and his extended family, the wizards, Nac Mac Feegle (scottish pixies who love to fight and drink), and even his stand alone stories.)He is definatly worth checking out.
Just before that I finished Stephen Kings lastest, part six of the Dark Tower series: Song of Susannah. He's finished the series (one more book to go) but is waiting to release the last one. He has said he's retiring which means I'll have one less writer to follow now. I hate that. But he's given me many good memories in his books so I can't complain. Who knows, he may miss writing and start back up again at some point. I've enjoyed his Dark Tower seriers, which is kind of his attempt to tie up a lot of lose ends and connect his stories together.
Of course I still keep my eyes open for any books based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Chaosium.com is a great place to keep an eye on if your a fan of the Providence gentleman. They publish new books as well as offer old ones. But it seems like not a lot of stuff is coming out right now.
So if you like to read, try any of these writers if you haven't already. A book is a great way to spend time. Of course I'm told I may have to get glasses at some point because, in my doctor's words, I read too much. But hey, going blind is a small price to pay.

3 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger sokmunky Screams...

The drinkin', and the fightin', and the stealin'.... and the drinkin'....



This Nac MacFeegle moment brought to you by Sokmunky!
Sokmunky knows how the Feegles should be stealin"!

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Hello Jeff my name is Brian. I like triple cheese burgers and Chocolate soymilk.

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Babushka,
Terry Pratchett is a wonderful novelist, and I am glad you introduced me to him. He is awesomely Funny! Especially with the added bonus of the different voices.
I also like King, but it has been awhile since I have read a book by him, maybe I will start again one day soon.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home