Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Music censorship

I have always been a big fan of free speech. I hated back in the day when they started comming out with the whole warning labels on music that was considered 'too strong'. But this afternoon my 9 year old nephew was making a list of songs he wanted and one of them was the rap song 'candy shop'. I'm not a big rap fan but due to a friend who is I have heard the song. It's all about what one can do with a lollipop, and I'm not talking about Shirley Temple and the good ship. What the hell! Theres no WAY I'm gonna give that song to him! What worries me is that he says several of his friends already have the song on CD. Don't parents pay any attention to what thier kids are doing anymore? I still remember the HUGE fight I had with my folks when I first bought Metallica: Garage Days Re-visited and they heard Last Caress. And I was a teenager then. Maybe I'm just getting old. But what the hell do you do? I refuse to get it for him, but what if he gets a copy from a friend? Any ideas?

12 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger The Creeping Unknown Screams...

My Dad blew his stack when I bought that Mercyful Fate EP Nuns Have No Fun - the one with a naked Nun on the front cover and the stake went through her private parts. I actually have GD-revisted on vinyl. God that was hard to say.

I would suggest maybe just being upfront with him about the song and explain why you are not down with it. I don't think his friends will be able to do that at all...

9:36 PM  
Blogger Alekx Screams...

When we were young (Burfica and I) we..mom, burf and I used to clean the church meeting hall for some extra money. I used to put record albums on while we cleaned. Should have seen the look on mom's face when I stuck on Nazerth "Hair of the Dog" She just went pale. It was funny as hell to have a 5 year old Burf running around after that singing at the top of her lungs "Now your messing with a Son of a B*$tch."
Mom was pretty hip though she loved to mop to Black Sabbath. Go Mom

11:17 PM  
Blogger Alekx Screams...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 PM  
Blogger wwww Screams...

Children today.....

How can you compare them and us? When I was young, it was difficult to find sex videos but look at youngsters today!

Just last month, my nephew asked me "Uncle Jay, why adults like to ride each other?"

Dammit, he is 8! I don’t think I would be asking my uncle or aunt when I was his age.

I didn’t answer his question but I screamed for my sister. I told her to close her bedroom's door at night but she and my brother in law never bother to listen!

12:56 AM  
Blogger BM, The Necessary Movement Screams...

YOU ARE OLD!!! To late for you!! you can't be saved. You are going to ask well what you do if connor wanted to buy something like that when he is 9 i will answer you then. Kate does not let me listen to G.G. Allin and Anal Cunt around Connor. Makes sense. Besides what they sing about is more sickning then a song about sucking dick!! Great music twisted mind! Perfect Combo!!!

I think if he wanted to buy the CD you speak of I would proably get it for him. I listen to much worse stuff the a song about fuckin suckin' dick.

if you have resevations about buying it, tell him so. Tell him this something his parents should be buying him. Buy him a cd you approve of.

you are old. Things have changed. I am old things have changed. Your mom is old things have changed. You grandmother is old things have changed.

All the crazy music I listend to never made me kill, steal, rape, fuck dead bodies, becoame and anti-christ. I knew better!! It's called Entertainment. It’s up to the individual listening to know the difference. It’s not up to you to buy, it’s up to his parents!!

Actually if connor wanted it I would get it for him!! As long as it wasn't CREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

I wouldn't get it for him. But I have an 8 year old boy. I'm not about to let him listen to shit like that. Now of course he loves AC/DC hehehehe

But that is my opinion. Nothing that graphic would be bought by me to give a child.

10:58 AM  
Blogger wwww Screams...

My 8 year old nephew (the same one that asked me why adults like to ride /humping each other ) loves Eminem music, and please don’t ask me how he got the CD.

The worst is, he can only sing the part Eminem shouted “FUCK YOU DEBBIE”, out loud when his parents are not home.

What can I do?

The best is NOT to let children to start using those words from fuck, rape, bitch etc. At one time my nephew told me that he loves to rape a girl sit next to him in the class because she is so cute.

Where do you think he learnt all that? MUSIC and TV!

PS- Most of nephews are more OPEN to their uncles. Same case like you and me.

Azathoth, my vote for your question is still NO! Don’t get him the cd.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Minzo Screams...

The problem, of course, is that whether you get it for him or not he is still going to be able to hear the song anytime he wants. This is the MTV generation! Good luck though...

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

don't censore him. did you tell him that you knew of the song and ask him what he thinks about it? he probably is too young to even understand the lyrics? i remember me brother used to listen to TOO SHORT and remember how nasty he was? my parents had no idea, i think. my dad used to shit when i listened to janes addiction's nothings shocking because it had cuss words in it. but it wasn't even until i was older did i realize how truly bad ass janes addiction was. there will always be that kind of music and hopefully he will grow out of it. who really does what it says in the songs anyway? what else can you do? i think he should listen to what he wants and then when he's older he will be having this same conversation with someone else. he'll realize it's shitty music eventually. just give him time. by the way i was a huge metallica fan when i was a teenager. my first concert was metallica with the cult in 88. i had to sneak to go b/c i was 13. i turned out ok and so did you.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

It's really a tough call. I'm totally against censorship too, but one thing I've found is that kids do seem to get copies of whatever they want from other kids. It's just too easy to burn CDs. Still, if you gut instinct is that it's not right, I think you should share that with him. I think you have to go with how you feel, and to be totally honest, I probably wouldn't get him that one. I like BM's idea about telling him that his parents should get him that one. Even if he does get a copy of it from somewhere else, you still made your point and later when he's looking back, I think he'll respect you for sticking to what you thought was right.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Dorko Screams...

Baby!
U hit a "hot-topic" didn't U?

[Hangs her head]

I believe we are all better off with the noble, good, truthful, praiseworthy, positive and respectful things. [someone once said: "Even Virtue's enemies applaud her!"] Nevertheless, this is not always been the case, for me.

[shudder!]

Don't we all have to have that exposure to the opposition of these things [of all things?] & plenty of adversity in R worlds sos we can ID the difference?

[I see that being pointed out in a lot of your comments here]

A positive focus for ME, helps me, to make THE BETTER CHOICE, everytime I am faced with a choice, in my day to day doings. Mind you, somedays I nail it, somedays I fail it...[& "it" nails me!]
But I still believe -
The wherewithall to make the "better choice," over time, leads to, well, what type of life?

[You fill in the answer]

Whatever one practices, & is vigilantly committed to, shapes them.

I didn't have a lot of people pointing these things out to me when I was a kid.

I think UR right to have concerns. I think that since you are having them - YOU are the perfect person to open a line of honest communication with the kid. Who knows where that could lead? ...maybe bond the 2 of you closer together...
...maybe give the kid something to think on when he's deciding if something is worthy of him?

Show the love Baby!!! Then, Love and Love some MORE!

10:59 PM  
Blogger V Screams...

OMG I teach 3rd graders in the inner city and they ALL know and sing that song.

Now don't get me wrong, I hate censorship too, but I agree, at least I won't perpetuate stuff I don't like to the kids I know.

Beyond that, I don't know what you can do. It's a suggestive world we live in, and there aren't a lot of people willing to give up freedoms to keep their kids protected from crap they shouldn't know or see.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home