Sunday, May 08, 2005

Keeping it real

Let me talk about one of the little things in life that bugs me, and make a wish.

Back in 1993, Universal released a movie by the name of Jurassic Park. I watched it for the first time sitting in a movie theatre and was completely blown away. Remember the Superman tagline: You'll believe a man can fly? Well watching that movie I believed in dinosaurs. I grew up loving dinosaurs. I used to know all the names. Seeing that movie made me feel young again. Sitting there they made the dino's appear so real you could almost belive that the science was possible. While the acting was so-so at best (except for the wonderfully funny job done by Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough), the whole point of the movie was just watching the dinosaurs. They had them right down to the pores. From the first moment they showed them on the screen to the last shot of the T-Rex roaring I was mesmorized. It was a true marvel of computer magic and special effects bringing them to life. Making them look so real you wanted to reach out and touch them.

Now here it was several years later and the first of the new Star Wars movies came out. I loved Star Wars even more than dinosaurs growing up. I had seen all of them in a movie theatres (and the first at a drive-in). I owned all the toys from all three movies, even the hard to find and rare ones. They wern't worth much by the time I grew up because I played with them, but to me back then they meant the world. I was so excited that they were finally continuing the series. For a little while I could feel young again.
But as I sat there, listening to evil oriental aliens and watching the horror of Jar Jar and trying to ignore so many plot holes that you couldn't cover them with duct tape, it occured to me that everything on the screen looked like a 'Computer Generated Special Effect'. They didn't look real, they looked fake, like a cartoon almost. Almost as bad as the much later to come Hulk movie. I just couldn't understand how Lucas studios, one of the premier special effect studios in the world, could end up making stuff that looked so damn fake. How could Jurassic Park, so many years earlier, have made something that was so beliveable. WTF?!?!

Then the second movie came out, and it was better. But still things looked like something off of Newgrounds.com. So damn animated. Yeah, in the origional they used rubber masks and muppets, yet Yoda as a muppet was still a step above what was on the screen in front of me. I'm not saying I didn't like the movie mind you, just that the creatues and droids and ships looked very fake. So obviously computer made. I've had people try telling me that it's unavoidable, that thats what computer effects look like. Yet I keep coming back to Jurassic Park. It looked real! So damn real! And It was YEARS AGO! They must have gotten more advanced by now! I'm not even going to go into the Lord of the Rings, which looked so good it put Lucas Arts to shame. How could they ruin Star Wars so bad?

Well the 3rd film is coming. I can't wait to see it. I've waited years to see the penultimate battle between Obi and Ani. The fight that lead him to become Vader in the armor. I have my fingers crossed that they won't screw this up. No jap-aliens. No Jar-Jar. No plot holes. No Backstreet Boys (If your a die-hard Star Wars nerd you'll understand the referance). No magic. No rubber masks. No muppets. And NO DAMN COMPUTERS. Just Ani and Obi. It's all I ask. My last wish for the Star Wars movies. Take my breath away one last time. I want to believe, just like I did in dinosaurs for a little while in 1993. Make it look real.

13 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger themadamefiles Screams...

Sweetie! If I had the money, and were friends with George, I would make that movie for you, for me and all the other people who want to recapture the magic that we first experienced when saw on the screen: "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away..."

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

jurassic park scared the shit out of me. that movie was awesome. movies need to change something. everything is so clean and there aren't any sharp edges, you know? what do i know.
i've been busy this weekend so here is my sunday top 10:
1: why don't we do it in the road?- the beatles
2. indian giver- the ramones
3. apostrophe- frank zappa
4. find her finer- frank zappa
5. friendly little finger- frank zappa
6. bend down low- bob marley & the wailers
7. dark days(inner power)- the angel
8. america drinks and goes home- frank zappa and the mothers of invention
9. honey don't- the beatles
10. kaya- bob marley & the wailers
bonus
*nanook rubs it- frank zappa
respect- otis redding

my player loves frank zappa and so do i. what can i say?

12:07 AM  
Blogger wwww Screams...

Hahahhaa

When I was 8, Christopher Reeves aka Superman was my hero. He flies.. he can fly, the real FLY!

When I watched the movie 3 months ago, I just realized that I was stupid!

1:34 AM  
Blogger Dream Screams...

Now bud you know I love ya right?
Good...

Now you need to chill the funk out...

Did you really expect 1-3 to be as good as 4-6? Not only did we already know what happens and they're just showing us, but knowing that we knew they were going to try to give us something new... Which meant putting more shite on the screen at one time than you could shake BM's stick at... Good or bad, realistic or just 100% Lucasarts cheeeese...

Enjoy em for what they are and relive childhood when you can... Just don't relive it too much...

Pampers look like hell on a Wookie...

1:07 PM  
Blogger The Creeping Unknown Screams...

Aza,

I believe with all my heart that SW3 is going to blow us away. Anakin falling to the darkside, the death of Obi Wan...it's going to be insane.

The Force is with us.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Azathoth100 Screams...

Um.. Creeping, Obi Wan doesn't die. If he did he wouldn't be in the other movies. But that would be on hell of a suprise ending.

And Ug, I am trying to be happy with them as is, I just want one last really good Star Wars moment. And you'll be in Depends long before I go back to Pampers.

10:01 PM  
Blogger The Creeping Unknown Screams...

Sorry Aza, I meant another crucial actor in the story...I had Obi Wan on the mind only because I have an actio figure shelf in my cube now - GEEK!!

8:48 AM  
Blogger MomThatsNuts Screams...

I love Newgrounds.com...is that a bad thing??

Mom~~

visiting from the fringe of blogness, aka Burf and Alekx

8:58 AM  
Blogger Dream Screams...

I know man I know... I just said that relive childhood line and got the Wookie/pampers pic stuck in my head LOL
I do love the new Diet Pepsi ads that have Yoda trying to mind bend some guys drink away from him and Chewie saying Don't even think about it LOL

2:20 PM  
Blogger kitten Screams...

I was blown away by Jurassic parek to. And I loved the original 3 SW movies but have not been able to sit thr the lastest 2 installments either. They were to dark...and I dont think they held the sense of wonder and excitement the first three had.....

10:18 AM  
Blogger kitten Screams...

um thats was "thru" and "too"...grrrrr

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

I'm optimistic about this third one. The first two prequels were so so, but for some reason, I just think this one's gotta rock. Guess we'll know soon, huh?

11:58 AM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

I LOVE all the star wars movies. But the first three will always and forever be my favorites.
It's hard to imagine little tiny anni as the big bad James earl Jones voice.

Anywhooooooo I think the Spielberg effects have long over shot the Lucas crap. He was wonderful with the first three, and personally I think he's way to cocky to be as good as the competition. It's HUGE now, and he has failed to step up to the plate.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home