Friday, July 29, 2005

The Wrong Lion Of Oz (my memories and stuff)

So I had taken Isis and the Ant to see a play of the Wizard Of Oz done by a traveling group at the local high school. They put on a phenominal performance for the kids, and due to one part in particularit was something the Ant will never forget.
Shortly after they had met up with the cowerdly Lion on the way to Oz, the actors had all danced off stage singing the 'Off to see the Wizard' song. All that is except the Lion who had stood and danced around in a circle while the rest of them headed left. He suddenly looked around and realized he was alone, so he asked the audiance which way the rest had gone. The kids in the audiance all shouted that the others had headed left, so the Lion replied that if they went that way then he was going this way, and ran out into the audiance to hide. Well, after a few moments the Scarecrow stepped back on stage looking for the Lion. He asked the audience where he was and once again the kids answered that he was hiding between the rows. So the Scarecrow marched out into the audiance and grabbed the Lion.
Except it wasn't the Lion he grabbed. It was me. (I had hair down to the small of my back and a full beard at this point in my life, and was considerably Lion like). I was dragged about half-way up on stage, with all the kids laughing, and the Ant cracking up so much she had tears running down her cheeks. Suddenly the scarecrow looked around and me and shouted in mock fear "Oh God! Wrong Lion!", and ran away from me to the other side of the crowd, which is where their Lion was hiding. Taking him by the hand they both went up on stage, the whole while the Scarecrow telling him about almost being eaten by another Lion while looking for him.
Needless to say Ant loved the show, so much so that last year she acted in a school play of... you guessed it "The Wizard Of Oz". She ended up playing the Scarecrow because the director felt that the Lion needed to be a male. Despite this she was the highlight of the show and was even given a standing ovation to her renditioning of "If I Only Had a Brain".
I told her she should have told him she would make a great Lion because she's related to one and it runs in her blood. If he questioned it all she had to do was have me go in and roar at him.

6 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger themadamefiles Screams...

sweetie - I have moved. Check out why - can you tell joy and BM for me please?
xoxoxo

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

ROFL - fantastic! And the fact that she played the scarecrow all those years later just makes it all the more perfect!

7:19 PM  
Blogger wwww Screams...

LOL - I cant stop laughing.

9:58 PM  
Blogger SunGrooveTheory Screams...

Awww What an Awesome Story, Aza :D

11:08 PM  
Blogger Dorko Screams...

I'm so glad you're writting these stories down!
That was a reeeeeeally good one... still smiling!
Cheerios2U, Aza!
Hugs!

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home