Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Soundtrack to Memory Lane

"Dance with me
I want to be your partner
Can't you see
The music is just starting...."

Almost everyone's life has a soundtrack. Differant songs get connected to people, places, and things in our lives. All it can take to take you back is to hear the music that was playing back then. I have a huge list of songs that can wisk me away to an old familiar place. Some are pleasent, some bittersweet, some sad.
This afternoon at work the song 'Dance With Me' by Orleans started to play. I was in the middle of doing a project for work and I had to stop and listen. I have, at one time or another, danced with every one of my girlfriends to this song. I don't dance often, yet somehow this song has turned up again and again in my life. I have many songs that remind me of people, but this is the only one that reminds me of ALL of my past love's. As I closed my eyes and lost myself in the tune I could almost feel thier embrace. I swayed through the years slowly spinning with them in my arms. My Meesha, Isis, Rie, Heaven, Demon, and Babushka. I could feel each in thier turn pushed against me, thier heads on my chest, thier skin under my hands, the smell of thier hair, the occasional steped-on toe. As the song ended I just stayed there smiling into space, my mind filled with old love that never truly dies, and current love that is as strong as ever. I wish somehow I could tell them all how glad I am I got to dance with them, how thankful I am that I will forever think of them when I hear this song.
Sometimes it's the little things in life that mean the most. The things that will stick with us when the pain has finaly faded. This is why I love music. It has followed my life and helped fill it with a soundtrack that I love to replay.

7 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger Ĵōÿ Screams...

I understand this post alot. I have spent a lot of years, and tears, relying on music to get me through good times, bad times. It always works. Its comforting to know that its the one thing that can never be taken from me.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

I actually made a page for my soundtrack, though I really need to update it: http://people.clemson.edu/%7Eangelar/soundtrack.htm.

Great post!

4:03 PM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

Music can sure define things. And the music we choose defines us so well also. I remember tapes (yes I'm that old) that me and friends made for each other that expressed our moods. I still have a set of "wedding tapes" that were played at my wedding. all the music picked out by us.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

yep. sure can relate. i have certain songs that remind me of the people in my life. and i always have a song stuck in my head anyway. today it's a silly one from the 70's that was playing at work this morning. i don't even know who sings it: "my baby loves love, my baby loves love and she knows how to use it." what a stupid song and it's driving me crazy.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Babushka,
I have many songs that bring back memories too. That one always makes me think of you and me dancing in my living room. I love dancing with you, I am smiling now just thinking about it. I love you. It is nice to know I am part of your song memory.

11:33 PM  
Blogger MomThatsNuts Screams...

Little diddy about Jack and Diane...two american kids growing up in the heart land.....

thats me

Mom

7:36 PM  
Blogger themadamefiles Screams...

"Sometimes it's the little things in life that mean the most. The things that will stick with us when the pain has finaly faded. This is why I love music. It has followed my life and helped fill it with a soundtrack that I love to replay."

Az - that was beautiful!!
Ahh! Music speaks to me too!
Thank you for posting such a wonderful blog!!
xooxoox

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home