Friday, July 01, 2005

A Grand Slam But He Still Lost The Game (My memories and stuff)

My friend Bebe called at about 10pm on a warm summer night. I was home alone, my parents were in Canada at our cottage. I couldn't go that year due to work.
Bebe was the mother of a beautiful little girl, Annie, but had had her with a brutish lout of a man. Within a few months of her birth things between Bebe and him (lets call him Ape, it describes him well) had fallen apart and they had split. In fact she hadn't heard from him for almost 2 weeks before this night. Then out of the blue he calls her and tells he he's coming to get his little girl and if she gets in his way he'll kill her. She should have called the cops, but she freaked and didn't know what to do so she called me. Why? Because I live about 2 min away from her and since she can't drive (her Mom normally drove her places but she was afraid to call her.) she asked if I could drive her to the police station. I said yes and got dressed and headed out. What i didn't know was that Ape was already at the house. He hid when I pulled up and waited till I got to the door. As I went to ring the bell Ape moved, and he moved quick along with the baseball bat he had brought with him. I never heard him coming. His first shot from behind caught me under the right arm (the one I was using to ring the bell). It broke 2 of my ribs upon impact. His second shot was meant to cave in my head, and might have at that he was a powerful bastard, but pain and gravity worked against him. I fell to the side as he swung and the shot missed me by inches as I fell off the stairs in front of the door. I stumbled along the wall as he took his time following, which turned out to be a bad mistake by him. I was in intense pain and it hurt to breathe, so I did the only thing I could do at that point, I got mad. As he came at me again I was near a pair of sliding doors that lead out to the driveway. As anyone will tell you who has been in a fight using one, a baseball bat isn't the best of weapons unless used right. He swung it like he was trying to smash a fast ball. By aiming at my head all I had to do was crouch (which brought fresh pain from my side, but all it did was add to the adrenaline rush I was having) and the bat went well over my head and left him in a very awkward position. Using my left hand I grabbed his head and put all my wieght into pushing him at those doors. 285lbs can cause a lot of speed and power when used right. I didn't learn till later that the doors he went through face first were double reinforced sliding glass. All I knew was there was glass everywhere and he was lieing down and not moving anymore. Bebe had called the police by this time, and she had watched the end of the fight from inside the room. She rushed out to grab me, now that the adrenaline was wearing off I just about fell over on top of him. The police and an ambulance arrived, not sure how long after. I was trying to convince my body to breathe despite the pain. He still hadn't moved, but Bebe had determined he was still breathing himself.
In the end it turned out he was in a coma for about 2 days and needed 29 stiches in his face from the glass. I had 2 ribs broken, one about completly crushed. Bebe was able to move away to live with an Uncle somewhere in the midwest, and later earned complete custody of Annie. Ape was also arrested for assult with a weapon, and I was not charged due to this fact (It was ruled as self-defense). I am skipping some of the legal crap (as Alekx and Burfica will probably point out) but that about covers it.
I haven't heard from Bebe since she moved, a few years ago, but I don't blame her. I also have never seen Ape again, I was almost afraid whenever he got out he'd try looking me up. Well, maybe not afraid. Actually I almost wished he had, I could use the agression thearapy. But I don't need the hassles. I was left with 2 ribs that never healed right (Because I of course didn't take good care of them, a few weeks later I helped my Little Sis move without her knowing about my condition and she got so mad after I almost passed out after carrying her couch in and had to tell her why.) and they still hurt or feel akward if I do certain things (like prolonged lifting). I know I've rebroken them at least once, and possibly twice from the feel of the pain, but I've never gone back to a doctor about them. Just stubborn I guess.
See, a good deed never goes unpunished.

11 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger SunGrooveTheory Screams...

I'm glad that you did not get hurt worse- and I'm impressed that you had so much dedication to your friend, Bebe, and strength to stand up for yourself against Ape.
:D

2:02 AM  
Blogger V Screams...

I am just stunned after reading your tale.

Although, all in all, I'd say you came out ahead, though. Every time he looks in the mirror he's gonna have to remember what a dumb asshole he was for ever messing with ya. :)

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

That was a close, close call, but I'm glad you had the drive to put Ape through that glass. You know, it's great for BeBe; but it's best for her little girl. No telling what a nut like that might have done to a little child, if he'd managed to take her.

I really enjoyed my visit to your state, btw. It's beautiful!

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

what a bad ass.

12:30 PM  
Blogger MomThatsNuts Screams...

Glad your ok, but like I always tell the troll~ings , girls are the DEVIL...nothing but trouble....

Mom

12:42 PM  
Blogger Dorko Screams...

Um. I'll go to war with you but never against you, OK, Azatoth? Man-o-man! You not only have good self-preservation instincts you did an excellent job 'nutralizing' the 'threat'. Sorry you got hurt in the bargan, but you're right. There's usually a price to be paid and the gentle, strong, true and innocent sometimes have to lay it down. Just wanted to wish you a happy, safe and comfortable 4th of July!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

Yeah it's always you good men that do the right thing, and you still get hurt. I love all you men like that. Love you love you love you.

Know that you will always be admired.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Kerry M. Conway Screams...

*hugs*

happy 4th of july sweets!!!!

you're the man! i salute you today sir!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Alekx Screams...

Nice job. We all know how I feel about assholes so all I can say is to bad he woke up from that coma.

11:47 PM  
Blogger The Creeping Unknown Screams...

Wow Aza I can't believe it. You are amazing!

I'm with Max. You should write your life story.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Babushka,
that story still makes me cring, but it reminds me of why I have a broken boyfriend. However, the way you stand up for the people you love is one the those things that I admire and love about you.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home