Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Knowledge is uncool

I work in a jewelry store. recently, since I can't sleep I've taken the time to look up interesting facts about gemstones, I figure if I have to sell them I should at least know something about them. But acording to the people I work with I'm just wasting my time doing this. They figure our job is just to convince people to buy, not educate them about what they're buying. One of my co-workers actually got mad at me for telling thier customer to keep the tanzanite piece they were buying away from high heat. It's a heat sensitive stone and if exposed to high temps for long times the color can fade. The customer was happy to find this out because she normally wears her jewelry all the time, even in the shower. Knowing this she said she'd make sure to take it off first. But my co-worker was mad because it was thier sale and felt I shouldn't have been talking to thier customer. Now fortunatly I don't give a screw if my co-workers get mad at me, but I just don't understand this mentality. If someone is spending as much money as you do on jewelry wouldn't they want to know about what thier spending that money on? Guess I'm wrong.

10 Voices In The Darkness:

Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

That's crazy! I'd be thrilled to have someone tell me the things I need to know to keep my jewelry looking its best! Geez!

It was definitely a whirlwind visit to CT! However, we should be going back to work with the UConn team some more eventually. It's a three-year grant. So, hopefully I'll be back up that way soon! =o)

8:00 AM  
Blogger BM, The Necessary Movement Screams...

as a member of the work force for many years I have learned it is better to stay out of other affairs/business. I am not saying you are a bad person. I know that you are one of the smarteset big heartest people I have ever met in my entire life. Nice people sometimes get a bad wrap. Trust me I hate plenty of nice people. They seem evil to me. I have known you for so long and except you the way you are!!

ok now come give us a hug!!!
Love ya, ya big lug!!!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

i think that you were right. it is helpful to have someone knowledgable about the work they are doing. it shows competence and since it wasn't even your customer, it shows that someone really cares about the product and concerns of the buyer. your co-worker just made you feel shitty because they were embarrassed and jealous that you were telling them that information, not them. what's it really matter? your helping another person out of compassion not competition. it would be different if it was all based on commission and you were stealing their customer away. which is ridiculous. good for you.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

I would love that information. I hate stupid people trying to sell me stuff, so I would have been worse. After you gave me that info, I would have started only speaking to you. But I would have asked for the manager or owner and mentioned how good you did, and I appreciate it, and I would never buy anything from the others that don't know nothing, and I would always ask for you when i came back. I'm a big one on customer service and knowing the product.

You keep it up, it will pay off in the end.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Dorko Screams...

A main focus for any employee at any job should be to "grow the business". Happy customer = good word of mouth = increase in business walking through your doors ready to buy! Stupid co-worker. RETRAIN ~ I screaming, RETRAIN the idiot and... Azathoth, you continue to rock steady.

5:30 PM  
Blogger V Screams...

Your co-workers know nothing (as I think you have mentioned in previous posts). You however, rock. (Get it????) ;)

There's some clothing store down here that has a slogan: "An educated consumer is our best customer."

Write that in large print with a marker on a piece of paper and stick it in a conspicuous spot around the workplace there.

6:49 PM  
Blogger wwww Screams...

You co-worker is just another employee and not your boss, so who cares? If I were you I will ask him to shut his pile hole! Opps.

10:31 PM  
Blogger The Creeping Unknown Screams...

I think you did the right thing. When I used to have to sell furniture at Pottery Barn, I knew the stuff was crap and it was overpriced and it was hard to convince people to buy it because I would never buy it. There were two kinds of fills - poly and down feather. One day a family came in and wanted to buy some of that crap furniture. During the sales process I made sure to let the parents know that if they have a child with allergies it would be better to chose the poly still instead. They were grateful to know that because it turns out the little girl was asthmatic and allergic to some things. So after a long process and a 3K sale which of course you don't get any commission for there, I was reamed out for suggesting the poly instead of the down feathers (obviously this costs more) and not asking them if they wanted to open a PB charge account (which I did but he didn't see). It's like go ef-yourself!!

8:42 AM  
Blogger SunGrooveTheory Screams...

I agree, You're definetly in the right on this one, Aza. I think that if the jewelry store is going to sell the jewelry, and part of the whole selling point is how precious it is, then you know, I hope they would tell me how to take care of it!!

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Babushka,
Your right as usually, it is better to have more knowledge then less. Your co-worker should be thank you for your assistance not getting mad at you, its not like you cost them the sale. Personally I am more likely to buy something that I know more about. Good for you.

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home