Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Confused political correct censorship

WARNING: If you are easily offended by certain words or thoughts please be careful reading this post. I'm not advocating any of these words or the small minded people who use them, I'm just pointing out an oddity on the radio.

Ok, heres one that has me confused. This afternoon I was listening to the radio and the song "Holiday" By Green Day came on. During the song they allowed the palying of the words Sieg Heil on air in the line "Sieg Heil to the Presidents yes men". I found this odd because I remember a few months ago listening to a Howard Stern broadcast (Not something I normally listen too) and they discussed how the FCC doesn't like any referances to Nazi's or Naziism on the airwaves. They consider any lines that can be considered anti-semantic offensive (which I agree). I started to wonder if maybe they've changed that rule. Then a few moments later in the song they garbled (The radios way of bleeping out an offensive word without a loud bleep) the word fag in the line "Shoot all the Fags who don't agree". Now I know that this is considered an offensive word (except to my friend who is a homosexual, he actually calls himself "the Fag".). I was just wondering why they garbled that one but let Sieg Heil through? Then to make things worse a few songs later they played the full version of "Money For Nothing" by Dire Starights and they allowed the playing of the line "The little Faggot, He's a millionaire." unaltered. Why is Faggot allowed but not Fag? I think somone is getting thier censorship confused here. Does any one else have any reason for this odd selection of wording that is either allowed or dis-allowed on radio?

7 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger ThreeOliveMartini Screams...

i couldnt tell you but i am against censorship of any kind..

11:37 PM  
Blogger MomThatsNuts Screams...

I think it depends on the time of day. Here the hip hop station (do NOT hassle me...) will edit out some words before like 7pm then after that they let the words in. I am against censorship, HOWEVER, I am not impressed with song writers who cant find another way to express themselves other than being offensive to some. Like I tell the troll~ings, it takes someone with intellect and brains to speak well, not use foul or improper language. The WAY you use your words says alot about you. I dont much like any band that has to call people names, thats SOOOOOOOOOO 3rd grade dont you think???

Mom

9:40 AM  
Blogger Quiet Screams...

I think the FCC has way too much time on it's hands.

Name one child that has never heard swears? They all know it, who cares if they hear it on TV or the radio.

Maybe I am simple minded, but I like hearing swears on tv, or radio.I think it's funny.

If you don't like it, turn the channel. That's what I say.

However the rules are a little more slack in Canada.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

I don't mind the "offensive" words so much. What I hate, and they do it on saturday night radio. Is they have a D.J. that does rap for a few hours. And some of the most common are the one's that talk about how cool it is to beat the shit out of your old lady or to shoot cops. MY father was a cop and one of his buddies was shot and killed. I don't find that funny at all. And I don't think it should be allowed for people to think that is cool.

Anything that talks about how cool it is to hurt someone else is wrong in my book.

But I let my son listen to uncesored Kid Rock. Because he isn't saying it in a way to hurt anyone. I mean the one verse is "I'm Kid Mother Fucking Rock" That doesn't hurt anyone. And god knows I've said the F word in front of my son, so I don't think it's a big deal. He knows it's a "bad" word, and he's not supposed to say it. I've told him when he's older if he wants to curse that's up to him, but not now. And he is good with that. So...he will go around singing songs he's heard. And he sings "I'm Kid. Mother bad wording Rock" it's cute as hell.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Hmmm... They probably forgot to cens! Maybe they aint even care! But whateva it was, Greenday is still cool... A lil... But I think you seemed to take that offensive ;-) PEACE & HOLLABACK

9:18 PM  
Blogger Azathoth100 Screams...

Actually Boss, I like both songs. It was just the choice of what to bleep and what not to that confused me. I have both songs on CD unaltered to be honest.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Ĵōÿ Screams...

Actually I think I am on your wavelength here Az. It seems to me that they only allow specific comments or words onto the airwaves after someone has decided that this particular usage of the word or phrases isnt offensive. Which means basically that even censorship is at the whims of one persons or groups opinions. Very much bullshit imho. I do not agree with censorship myself, but that seems more like pick and choose censorship.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home