Friday, November 11, 2005

Beauty nothin... Age is in the eye of the beholder.

So just as I'm leaving work today a guy and his girl come in to pick up thier rings. As I'm walking by the man turns to me and says "You're name's Jeff isn't it". I stop and look at this guy, he's about my hieght, a little heavy (but not as bad as me), looks about mid-thirties or so. In fact he looks a bit old to me, you know what I mean, someone who's been down the path a ways. So I reply, "Yes..." to which he says "We went to school together ! I'm A-Bomb (not his real name but as you all know I use nicknames to protect the innocent)!".
I stopped dead. He was in my grade! He's my age! But he looks so damn old and worn out! WTF!
So I say "Oh wow man, how you been?" He goes "I just got married and I own a little place down in N.H.". I look at his wife and unless she's just got a centralized weight problem then the wedding date will only be a few months before the kids B-day.
I made an excuse to leave and got the hell out of there. Now I feel old. I mean, I didn't think I looked that old, but if he's the same age maybe I'm just fooling myself. Also, what the hecks up with the fact that everyone and thier grandmother can still recognize me? I don't think I look the same, I got the beard and stuff, so why can they all spot me from mles away. I have people I don't even remember come up to me and be like "You're Jeff, we went to nursery school together!" (yes this has happened before). How is it I can feel the same, look enough like my old self to be recognized, yet be as old as the people who keep saying hi to me?
Damn I feel old now.

12 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger Burfica Screams...

I hate it when people recognize me and I have no fricken clue who they are. Gigantor and I both graduated same school, same year. So...someone will be talking away to us, then when they leave, I look at him and whisper. "who the hell was that" and he goes "I was just about to ask you"

I don't know what's up with Gama's blog. But Kitten left a comment on Pink kitties blog saying she closed hers, and was giving people the courtesy of telling them, but I never got a message telling me. So...I dunno.

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

very true!!!!!! www.theoriginb2.co.uk

5:43 AM  
Blogger Dream Screams...

Well you know the old gamer saying bud...

Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.
The rest of the party is in the stomach...

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Yea, PPL tend to notice me also. I still got a baby face jus a lil mo grow-ish :-P When ppl come up to me like dat I'd be like, "Yea... Look thurrz my ride! BYE!" ;-) PEACE

9:04 AM  
Blogger Alekx Screams...

People recognize me...but unfortunatly it's usually mistaking me for someone on the FBI's top 10 most wanted.

Just cuz you and that guy are same age doesn't mean you look as old as him. What if he's been drinking hard. that'll make you look 10-15 even 20 years older

Stop fretting, you have the personality that makes people want to remember you.
Hugs darlin

9:24 AM  
Blogger She Must be Full of BS Screams...

Yeah, Aza, you're just a really memorable guy! I think if I didn't see you for 10 years I'd still remember you if I saw you in a jewelry store; the biggest problem I'd have with it would be understanding why you and a jewelry store were in the same room! Love you man, miss you...

1:39 PM  
Blogger Quiet Screams...

I bet you look younger. If you can notice it, he's probably thinking how old he looks compaired to you!

I look the same now, as I did when I was 2 years old. Some people are just lucky I guess...

8:47 AM  
Blogger BM, The Necessary Movement Screams...

oi i look like piss in a tinder box, soggy with a musky smell.

P-U!!!!!!!!!!!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Dorko Screams...

I got the same problem.
Doesn't help that I moved back to my hometown.
I'm always terrified to say, aren't you so and so to people because I'm afraid I'll be way wrong!
So...?
...you rather perfer the anonymity of bloggdom?

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Babuska,
Like I have told you time and time again...your not old!, and you don't look it either. People reconize me too, what even worse is I have people reconize me b/c of my bother or sister. It actually happened to me last week. He asked me if I was john's sister. He did remember my name after awhile, and I reconized him a little, but the funny thing is he looked younger than me, and was the same age. It was weird!

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

this must happen to all of us as we age. i see people all the time my age and i think, do i look like that. the other day i went to ashville, nc to see a rat dog show and the guy in front of me got carded but i didn't. i was thinking, ok what is it about my face that says don't card? when i look at myself in the mirror i look the same.
maybe people recognize you because you make such a lasting impression with your personality that it makes you easy to remember. or maybe that person remembering you from nursery school is just a super freak about remembering things. i have met someone that i remembered from 2nd grade once and he couldn't believe me.
maybe when we are 80 we won't be able to recognize other 80 year olds because we still 20 on the inside. who knows...

11:57 AM  
Blogger Ĵōÿ Screams...

I dont normally have the same issue because for some reason I tend to remember the face, name, birthday and social security numbers of even the most temporary aquaintances through my entire life. I do however still have a problem with getting carded. I am the same age as you Az and although I want to appreciate the fact that I still get carded for even tobacco, when I dont have my I.D. handy on me I just get enraged. A couple of months ago I was hanging out with a childhood friend and I looked at him and suddenly realized that I had known him for 25 years. When I announced this to him he told me to STFU and just stared into space for the next hour or so.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home