Thursday, February 09, 2006

Pets

Ok, I have come to have a problem with people keeping animals. Growing up I had several cats. I loved them all and have some nice memories of them. But one of the problems I have with them is that they don't last long enough. Average cat life is about 15 years, average dog life is maybe the same. Which means they live long enough for you to build up a bond with them, to feel like they're part of the family, and then they die. Having had to be the one who did the deed (take them on that last vet visit) every time because no one else in my family could bring themselves to do it, I don't want any more animals. I've known people who care for thier animals as if they were thier children. My Sis, Kells Bells, Jay (over at Jaysblog), have all had to suffer through the loss of a beloved pet (thats not everyone, just those I can think of on the spot) that they looked at as a true family member. I have spent nights sitting up with some of them while they cry thier eyes out. It's heartbreaking. This is why I don't want anymore, losing a loved one is bad enough, but to buy a creature that you KNOW will die before you is just painfull.
Then there are those who people call pets but thier not. I'm sorry but the word pet means you can PET THEM! Such animals as fish, hedgehogs, ect. can not be petted (Babushka's sister has a hedgehog and would argue that she pets it, yeah except she has to wear gloves when she does or her hands become pincusions! All they are are spikey rats!) . Also if the animal is too skittish or temperamental to let you hold it then it doesn't count either. All that is is caging an animal, not having a pet. With few exceptions the fact that if you hold a mouse in your hands too long it's heart can burst from fear means that you shouldn't have one!
Then there are those who keep snakes/spiders/lizards/ect. I've known several of these people and it's mostly for shock value. Perhaps after a couple of years they do become attached, it's human nature, at first it's more just so they can freak people out when they show them off (I know ther are exceptions, I'm generalizing here from quite a few people who I've known with them).
Is it a bad thing to have a pet? NO. they6 can be nice companions and are fun and funny and loving. But be careful, if you can't handle losing them then maybe your better off not having them at all.
Like me.
Peace.

10 Voices In The Darkness:

Blogger The Creeping Unknown Screams...

Aza, I cannot agree with you more. You remember last year when my Mary got sick with cancer - I stared at that x-ray for what seemed and eternity. A tumor the size of two golf balls inside a 6 pound cat who was 15 years old. I have not recovered still from her death and still have problems sleeping.

Two of my boys are also sick, FUS and a heart murmur and it's like reliving the nightmare again. I told Dark Lord if I have to bring another cat to the death visit, I won't have another pet in my life. I am severely attached to my animals, because I grew up in a family that was incapable of affection. So I guess that is why I am an annoyingly affectionate person. I also had to always take the pets to the "final" visit. It just hurts like hell.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Quiet Screams...

My heart aches when I think about my pets passing away.

I remember buying a kitten, two days later it died in my arms. I cried for days. Still hurts to think about it.

Better to have love and lost, than not love at all I suppose.

2:11 PM  
Blogger SunGrooveTheory Screams...

Aww so sorry about your pets Aza.

Hey... what kind of job are you looking for? I've been in a job hunt, too, and I've come across a lot of job openings that are nowhere near my field...
Shoot me an e-mail? jlea05@gmail.com
we could chat and compare notes :)

2:44 PM  
Blogger Libby Screams...

i can't even think about my cat dying. i rescued him from the animal shelter just in time for him 7 yrs ago...i know it'll happen sometime, i just don't wanna think about it....

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

every person or animal we love will die unless we don't die first. the point is to cherish the relationship while it lasts. i have 3 cats and i am not looking forward to the day one of them keels over. but i am looking forward to not changing any litter boxes.

6:48 PM  
Blogger MomThatsNuts Screams...

we got cadet trolling a chihuahua when he was like 10. It will NOT be pretty when she dies. Also we have the little maltipoo, but they are more like kids than dogs. I hate cats, but I hear they make great burritos...

mom

10:25 PM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

I've had pets all my life. I've had to take dogs and cats and my horses to be put down. I've had to help kill chickens (that were pets) I've had a parrot die in my hands, and I've sat and held my dogs while they take their last breath.

They love unconditionally even if we are the biggest jerks in the world. They are always happy to see you come home. The least I can do is give them that kind of love back, and keep they as healthy, happy and out of pain as I can. I think of some of the lives my pets would have led if I hadn't recued them. And I'm greatful for the chance to give they a little joy or comfort in their lives.

It breaks my heart when they die, or have to be put down, and I think of those I've lost offten, but I would NEVER give up the chance to feel love like that. I'm sure I will ALWAYS have petts.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Dream Screams...

hey bud... Just to let you know...
Cleo is still alive and turned 21 last year... In cat years that makes him over 136 years old... :)

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Hector has come along at just the right time and he is the perfect pet for me. He brings me joy. I think you should take the gamble. A buddy to come home to is a good thing for us pathetic single folks. And, yes, he is overjoyed when I come home. He has passed a milestone this week. He now has free rein over the whole house while I am at work and he does not make mistakes. I stared off crating him, then containing him to the bedroom. He passed those tests and now he is a real dog that knows the rules. It is bliss.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Looks like your blog is pretty popuplar. Are you interested in links exchange?Campolina

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home