Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Friends and the 10 year curse

We saw the world
And the world seemed smaller
We're getting wider
But not getting taller
You know we've grown up
Just a little at a time

We're sleeping late
But we're not lazy
We're getting old
But we're still crazy
I'm so glad I have these
Friends o' mine

Bowling for soup-'Friends O' Mine'


I used to believe that I had what I called a Ten Year curse on me. See after Meesha died I swore that no matter what I wouldn't be alive within 10 years of her death. Which means that if I didn't die somehow by the time I was 24 (Do the math to figure out when she died) I was going to kill myself. Now as you may be able to see, since I'm currently 33, I didn't end up going through with this. Yet for the longest time after I turned 24 it seemed like I was unable to hold onto any friend over 10 years. Other than my Bro, who I'd already known for over 10 years at that point, most of the people who were close to me would end up leaving before 10 years elapsed. Sometimes they moved, sometimes they got mad at me, sometimes they died, but always something. Part of me thought it was punishment for not keeping me promise to Meesha. Even those who swore over and over how they'd always be there and always want me in thier lives, well 10 years would come up and poof they were gone. Then others wouldn't understand why I didn't belive them when they would tell me the same thing.
Of course, it didn't last. The first to break it was my Lil Sis, who I've now known for 14 years. Of course, she almost left at the 10 year mark (her hubby almost got her to move to South Cakalakie (aka, Carolina) just as we reached the 10 year mark, go figure), but in the end stuck around just to prove me wrong ( or so she says). There have been others now (J$, Kells Bells, Isis, Boston, BS, Bm&the Hottie, Midget), although I'm not including those who did leave my life for a while but came back later (UG, Demon, EFFXB, Roe,... not that I'm putting down thier friendship, they are all still very important to me and I hope we have many years ahead of us).
I guess it's just nice to know that sometimes, despite life's crappyness, there are some folks who stick around. While things do change as the years pass (several of these people have kids, some now live far away, and some still don't talk to me that much. It sometiems seem that the time to hang out has gotten shorter, as has the list of what to do while we hang out, yet each and every time together is still special) it's nice to know that I have some people in my life that I don't have to worry abut losing like I used to. Does this mean they'll always be there? Not necessarily, but I do know that no matter what happens they will always care.
And now I have you folks here on the blog. While I know that the blog isn't as stable as we'd wish it was, I've known quite a few who have come and gone, many are listed under either my Dead But Dreaming or my Lost In The Darkness colums on the right, yet I'm glad I got the chance to know them a little, just like I'm glad for all those who are still here.
So here's a toast, to friends who stay and friends who go and all the smiles inbetween.
Peace.

10 Voices In The Darkness:

Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

nice to see I'm last on the list.




jerk.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

(just kiddin)

9:13 PM  
Blogger BM, The Necessary Movement Screams...

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

You're doing better than I am. I think it comes from moving a lot as a kid, but my friends ships have about a five year curse, I think.

Thank goodness technology allows us to reach out and make cyberfriends!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Burfica Screams...

I only have three people that have been a long standing friendship. Other flake...I don't know why, but they do. Sad.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Julie Screams...

I've lost several friends in the last year since the end of my marriage,, for whatever reason, I'm sure I have quite a bit of responsibility in it... and it's sad, but these things happen...I'm glad I've made you as a friend though!
A friend of a few weeks or twenty years is still a friend,,
you are a sweetpie that is for sure.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous Screams...

Dun kill yaself cuz u in pain. Love is pain, so live w/ it ;-) PEACE

11:15 AM  
Blogger Libby Screams...

well...you could always never MAKE friends....so, since you do, you're doing SOMETHING right!!?

11:41 AM  
Blogger MomThatsNuts Screams...

9.5 years to go then Im OUTTA HERE....hey at least you will be expecting it...hehehehehehe

mom

ps. i know that sarcasm does not easily translate via the world wide web so just in case you didnt hear the dripping sarcasm, I thought I would let you know its there....

8:29 PM  
Blogger SunGrooveTheory Screams...

Hear, Hear!! Great post :)

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home